Under direct supervision supports the Portfolio Electronic Health Record training activities in the Department of Clinical Informatics for the University of Maryland Medical System. Provide direct technical support for clinical and operational end users of the electronic health record. Provide front line customer service, interacting with staff in a professional manner while providing high level customer service as the highest priority while rounding on units, and answering support calls from departments, solving/answering hardware/software/workflow questions. This includes tracking and documentation of user requests, engaging appropriate site/corporate /client resources to support the operation and timely closing of support requests. Assist in the development and implementation of strategic initiatives that will enable employees to develop competence in the use of computer software and systems utilized by both clinical and non-clinical employees throughout the University of Maryland Medical System (UMMS).
Principal Responsibilities and Tasks
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. These are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
1. Participates in managing training projects for assigned application(s) including the design, development, delivery, evaluation, continuous improvement, optimization training and/or other performance improvement and staff development with direction and supervision from the Training Leadership team.
A. Effectively delivers assigned IT application training programs that support the strategic initiatives of UMMS and the Information Services and Technology Department. B. Develops and tests Web-based training programs using standardized system process developed by the department of IT Training and Staff Development. C. Assimilates training needs and develop training modules to effectively meet the needs of a diverse organization. D. Maintains data elements within the training environments, in compliance with the Environment Communication Plan, to support all training efforts. E. Provides customer support during and following go-live.
2. Coordinates logistics associated with training delivery preparation activities such as copying and assembling printed materials, set-up, maintenance of training rooms, equipment preparation, post training clean-up, etc.
3. Participates in training-related performance improvement initiatives and with maintaining training metrics. Follows effective control processes and compliance monitoring to ensure risks are: measured, monitored, controlled, and mitigated. Uses researched-based/best practice methodology, Assists with verification and validation of software programs and materials utilized in training programs for completeness and accuracy.
4. Monitors training room calendar and books reservations.
5. Participates as a member of various project workgroups, attends meetings as required.
6. Provides consulting services to departments within and outside the UMMS organization to develop IT Training plans, programs, and support models for computer systems.
7. Develops constructive work relationships with other IT team members and customers inside and outside the Medical System. Serves as a resource for and mentors trainers of all levels and reports progress to the IT Leadership.
8. Facilitates and/or attends team meetings and other assigned meetings as needed. Completes post-meeting minutes and communicates information to training team members. Completes projects, assignments, and goals within desired timeframes.
9. Provides first level problem analysis, acquires a base knowledge of assigned applications to support clinical and operational departments. Responds to calls regarding clinical hardware and software. Escalates calls to senior support or Medical System IT or relevant departments as necessary.
10. Assists customers to identify and specify the nature of basic to moderately complex requests or problems. Assists in troubleshooting and managing minor clinical hardware and equipment requests.
11. Acts as the primary support of the EHR systems solutions for the user community.
12. Assists with application support testing/training activities as directed.
13. Maintains proficiency in IT systems, policies, credentials and procedures as required.
14. Works with multidisciplinary project and operational staff to help implement, maintain and improve the EHR.
15. Logs all problems, issues and requests. Collects data from customers to aid problem determination/resolution. Provides on-going follow up to customers throughout the support process until the resolution of issues.
Renowned as the academic flagship of the University of Maryland Medical System, our Magnet(r)-designated facility is a nationally recognized, academic medical center with opportunities across the continuum of care. Come join UMMC and discover the atmosphere where talents and ideas come together to enhance patient care and advance the science of nursing. Located in downtown Baltimore near the Inner Harbor and Camden Yards, you won't find a more vibrant place to work!
Education and Experience
1. Bachelor's degree in healthcare, business, education, information technology, or related fields required, or equivalent combinations of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities have been acquired.
2. Experience with Healthcare EHR and CPOE systems strongly preferred.
3. Application credentialing required within first 90 days of hire.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Knowledge of Microsoft Windows, Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, basic computer concepts, knowledge of microcomputer operating systems and application software required.
2. Excellent customer service skills and the ability to work with all levels within the organization.
3. Effective verbal and written communication skills are necessary to advise and consult with user personnel and make formal presentations of project findings and recommendations.
4. Ability to explain complex technical issues to both technical and non-technical customers are required.
5. Self-motivated, highly organized and detail oriented skills are required.
6. Demonstrated ability to be adaptable and flexible based on changing business and training environment needs is required.
7. Ability to work in a team-oriented environment is required. Develops effective working relationships and maintains excellent communication with other team members.
8. Excellent organization skills: demonstrates confidence and creativity.
The University of Maryland Medical System (UMMS) was created in 1984 when the state-owned University Hospital became a private, nonprofit organization. It has evolved into a multi-hospital system with academic, community and specialty service missions reaching every part of the state and beyond. UMMS is a national and regional referral center for trauma, cancer care, neurocare, cardiac care, women's and children's health and physical rehabilitation. It also has one of the world's largest kidney transplant programs, as well as scores of other programs that improve the physical and mental health of thousands of people daily. The hospitals and health systems that comprise UMMS are: University of Maryland Medical Center, University of Maryland Medical Center Midtown Campus, UM Rehabilitation and Orthopaedic Institute, UM Baltimore Washington Medical Center, UM Capital Region Health, UM Charles Regional Medical Center, UM St. Joseph Medical Center, UM Upper Chesapeake Health, UM Shore Regional Health, Mt. Washington Pediatric Hospital and UM Community Medical Group.