JOB SUMMARY: The Associate Director supervises, coordinates and monitors the work activity of a unit or department; develops program goals and objectives; prepares or assists in the preparation of annual operating budgets; recommends, evaluates and interprets personnel actions and policies.
Develop goals and objectives for the department based on interpretation of institutional policy and goals.
Develop department work goals and objectives, based on interpretation of organization plans and forecasts.
Plan to achieve goals or establish priorities.
Help department understand, share and support the vision.
Initiate changes in or develop new policies, procedures and/or methods.
Ensure the most effective operations of the department through program development, process improvement and coordination/integration of processes with other departments.
Follow-up/expedite work on obtaining information on procedures, data, or analysis of problem situations in order to get things done.
Analyze situations/incidents, prepare and deliver oral briefings to executive management regarding recommendations or conclusions.
Monitor and coordinate programs and actions.
Coordinate the activity of two or more functions to effect unity of operations.
Supervise a unit or department with full responsibility for planning, coordinating, and controlling the work procedures
Analyze and evaluate ongoing department programs to identify areas where adjustments/improvements are needed; provide advice/consultation to others regarding problems; monitor status reports concerning projects assigned to others
Participate in periodic management meetings to keep top management informed of department or unit problems and concerns
Participate in professional associations and development activities to remain informed regarding new development in the field and disseminate information to department personnel.
Standardize services, processes, resources, and practice to improve efficiency
Participate in meetings with persons from other areas of the institution to coordinate plans and decisions.
Define and achieve financial targets in support of business goals of the institution
Prepare an annual operating budget for a department, including direct labor, material and supplies, services, equipment maintenance and replacement
Develop cost reduction projects and targets in collaboration with subordinate managers and operating department managers
Evaluate organizational functions and structures to best determine the allocation and utilization of resources
Analyze and evaluate budget variance to determine cause,
Create and exceed service standards utilizing key service dimension and from knowledge of patient/customer expectations and best practice
Participate in establishing service standards for the department.
Ensure that the service standards established for the department are met or exceeded.
Utilize customer satisfaction, best practices and market information to improve customer service and satisfaction.
Monitor performance against service stands.
Use patient/customer satisfaction data to improve systems, processes and outcomes.
Create an organizational culture (both within and across departments) that provides a safe, satisfying and enriching environment for and provides a qualified, competent staff to meet patient needs.
Provide qualified competent staff by tracking projected staffing needs against qualification and competencies of current staff to identify any deficiencies to improve staffing levels.
Define the qualifications and performance expectations for all staff positions through the Performance Development system, including department specific job descriptions, measurable performance standards, and defined patient populations care for and competencies for age-specific patient care.
Create an environment that encourages and supports self-development and learning for all staff through regular feedback. Ensure that each staff member's ability is assessed in meeting the performance expectations stated in his or her job description in a timely manner (normally annually).
Assure the development of people through orientation and training programs and through work experiences. Regularly collect data to assess trends and needs.
Evaluate workload, priorities, and activity schedules to determine staffing requirements.
Inform and advise supervisors about personnel actions which are likely to likely to result in grievances.
Recommend personnel actions, including hiring, promotion, and termination; Interpret personnel practices and policies in response to questions from supervisors
Counsel employees with regard to disciplinary actions taken in response to violations of institutional policies or contractual provisions
Assure appropriate compensation of people in collaboration with Human Resources Department.
Communicate within and across departments to maximize effectiveness, efficiency and information sharing.
Conduct or initiate staff meetings to develop resolution to problems.
Identify, establish and evaluate quality assurance standards, programs, and procedures within department.
Establish and evaluate standards of performance to ensure safe, effective, and efficient operation of the department.
Ensure that standards are met within area of responsibility to assure clinical enterprise accreditation/licensure.
Organizational Impact: Establishes key tactical and operational plans of a sub-function or multiple departments that has longer-term effect on results of the sub-function.
Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Integrate knowledge and in-depth analysis from several areas to resolve complex problems that are both technical and operational.
Breadth of Knowledge: Applies comprehensive knowledge of professional/technical area and broad management knowledge of other professional areas to carry out objectives.
Team Interaction: Leads multiple departments with a function.
SUPPORTING COLLEAGUES (M3):
- Develops Self and Others: Acts upon constructive feedback from all levels of the organization and initiates strategies to develop talent in others.
- Builds and Maintains Relationships: Leverages relationships and insight to forecast potential future needs and influence delivery of work to exceed expectations.
- Communicates Effectively: Anticipates different audience concerns, styles and finds mutually beneficial solutions across conflicting and sensitive issues.
DELIVERING EXCELLENT SERVICES (M3):
- Serves Others with Compassion: Demonstrates in-depth knowledge of broad-based issues and considers the interests of others to improve satisfaction of services.
- Solves Complex Problems: Critically evaluates complex information and identifies trends/ risks to make recommendations to improve processes across areas.
- Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Provides ongoing feedback and development discussions to motivate and support team members to maximize performance.
ENSURING HIGH QUALITY (M3):
- Performs Excellent Work: Anticipates problems or obstacles which may interfere with quality standards and develops plans to ensure area's quality standards are met.
- Ensures Continuous Improvement: Routinely draws upon valuable learning from others, past experiences, and new information to determine key opportunities.
- Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Develops appropriate corrective actions for unsafe environments in order to ensure operational and safety compliance.
MANAGING RESOURCES EFFECTIVELY (M3):
- Demonstrates Accountability: Identifies potential obstacles to goal achievement and develops solutions to address those obstacles.
- Stewards Organizational Resources: Creates the appropriate systems and processes to effectively manage resources.
- Makes Data Driven Decisions: Applies in-depth knowledge of data to recommend and implement new approaches to improve decision making capabilities.
FOSTERING INNOVATION (M3):
- Generates New Ideas: Identifies opportunities and leads development of new initiatives that create value across areas .
- Applies Technology: Creates the energy and drive for self/others to identify and leverage technology in new, innovative ways to drive greater efficiencies.
- Adapts to Change: Anticipates the change process and clearly communicates impact on others/own team(s), assisting them in embracing the change.
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period. Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties. Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.As t...he largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.