This individual will be accountable for all aspects of the financial operations. This includes, but is not limited to; financial reporting, short- and long-term financial planning, financial analysis as well as the maintenance of internal controls, compliance and integrity including tax and audits. This individual will ensure Accounting Policies are consistently and accurately implemented. This individual will also develop and execute financial strategies, systems and processes that optimize current and future performance; align limited capital resources with strategic initiatives and maintain advances in expense control and contribute to strategic positioning while working to optimize performance.
The VP Finance has responsibility for the departmental functions of accounting, payroll, General Accounting and Budget. The VP Finance may have administrative leadership over additional departments as assigned.
I. EMPLOYMENT QUALIFICATIONS
* A Master's degree from an accredited institution in finance, accounting, or business administration or a Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution in finance, accounting, or business administration and an active CPA license.
* At least ten (10) years of progressive hospital financial leadership experience within a complex environment, of which at least five (5) years as a hospital VP of Finance.
* Knowledge of financial modeling and forecasting; financial contracting; financial reporting and knowledge of monthly closing process. Experience with Financial auditing and ensuring adequacy of internal controls.
* Knowledge /experience with healthcare specific financial and business acumen; Strategic business planning; Ability to structure complex business arrangements.
* Ability to facilitate / develop annual operating plan; Capital spending analysis and reporting; Advanced accounting and analytical skills.
* Ability to manage and lead a diverse employee base.
* Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite, email, intranet, and internet.
II. OTHER QUALIFICATIONS
* A Fellow certification (FHFMA) in the Healthcare Financial Management Association.
Knowledge of INFOR ERP, HRIS/payroll, Hyperion, SRC, Strata, and other financial systems
III. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
1. Understand the operating budget assumptions and initiatives. Proactively identify management action plans that will ensure attainment of the budgeted margin. Provide positive financial leadership to the organization that enables execution of the operating budget as well as additional action plans that will improve the margin or enable sustainability considering the rapid changes resulting from health reform.
2. Proactively monitor staffing productivity reports and identify opportunities to bring staffing in line with standards.
3. Work with Human Resources to identify opportunities that will ensure the sustainability of the system about employee and labor relations.
4. Develop, mentor, and empower the finance team to provide financial leadership to all levels in the organization and to ensure depth of financial expertise as well as succession planning.
5. Implement and update the long-term financial plan consistent with WMCHealth network strategy, developing alternatives that will strengthen the balance sheet and improve Charity's financial position.
6. Proactively maintain a multi-year capital budget, reprioritizing with the Leadership team and developing sources of cash for capital.
7. Redesign and improve financial processes including identification of sources to increase overall efficiency and effectiveness.
8. Excellent technical accounting skills
9. Experience working in a structured environment
10. The ability to effectively communicate and lead
11. Strong problem-solving skills
12. Strong PC skills including Excel, Word
13. Experience with "state of the art" financial systems and ability to work with "teams" to advance our reporting and related information systems
14. Ability to maximize the utility of the INFOR ERP
15. The ability to streamline processes and yield efficiencies
16. The ability to challenge the way tasks are performed and implement changes to achieve efficiencies
17. Excellent people skills and strong manager and leader of staff
18. Excellent organization skills requiring one to maintain control of priorities and the status of projects while constantly challenging priorities while being sensitive to meeting deadlines
19. Strong communication skills both in writing and orally
20. Hard working and persistent
21. Significant attention to detail
22. Strong work ethic
23. Able to work on a wide array of special projects and initiatives
24. Able to lead and participate in cross organization work teams on major initiatives
IV. OTHER RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Ensure the timely and accurate completion of all monthly financial statements and related analysis to senior leadership and the Board.
Evaluate and reorganize as appropriate the treasury function including the development of regular short- and long-term cash plans. Oversee the management of cash to ensure that the Organization's cash position is maximized.
Partner with and provide support as necessary to Revenue Cycle Operations.
Provide leadership to develop, implement and monitor Finance Policies & Procedures to manage costs and operations.
Direct and provide leadership for the Finance Team and ensure staff members are cross trained.
Direct the ongoing improvement efforts and new workflows related to the recently implemented INFOR System.
Optimize the Operations of the Accounts Payable and Payroll Departments.
Ensure precision & timeliness of monthly closings & reporting.
Recruit, supervise, train, motivate, counsel and evaluate direct reports and their staff. Make organizational decisions and implement.
Develop and implement training and development to improve skill level and achieve strategic goals.
Develop and implement job descriptions that will provide a career path for finance staff.
Develop and implement a departmental succession plan. Direct staff in proactive communications regarding day-to-day activities. Utilize problem-solving skills with areas of responsibility and develop those traits in the existing management team.
Lead individual responsible and accountable for the timely and accurate production of monthly financial statements and related analysis working closely with key departments.
Represent the organization at Board meetings and present the monthly financial reports to the Board.
Direct oversight of the monthly financial statement close resulting in reports to senior management and the Board in a timely and accurate manner.
Preparation of various not for profit and for-profit tax returns including monitoring the tax position of various entities.
Work closely with the Finance Team and Health Network to plan and execute the year-end close including direct interaction with external auditors.
Preparation of Organization's annual Budget and related presentations. Reorganize department personnel as necessary to implement changes necessary to meet budget objectives.
Work with others on new program development and Business Planning.
Identify and develop policies and procedures to strengthen controls both in and outside the department.
Ongoing efforts to improve processes and automate manual tasks. Develop strategies to make operations more efficient.
Plan and coordinate goal setting and educational programs for department staff.
V. WORKING CONDITIONS
This is an exempt position requiring hours of work that extend beyond the traditional work hours, including evenings and weekends. Travel is required.
VI. MISSION, VALUES, SERVICE REQUIREMENTS
All employees are responsible for extending the mission and values of Bon Secours Charity Health System by understanding each customer, treating others with respect and dignity and by subscribing to the organization's commitment to provide quality service.
Good Samaritan Hospital
Good Samaritan Hospital in Suffern, NY, is a 286-bed hospital providing emergency, medical, surgical, obstetrical/gynecological and acute-care services to residents of Rockland and southern Orange counties in New York; and northern Bergen County, NJ. The hospital is home to a recognized cardiovascular program, comprehensive cancer-treatment services, the area's leading Wound and Hyperbaric Institute and outstanding maternal/child services that includes a Children's Diagnostic Center. Good Samaritan Hospital also provides social, psychiatric and substance-abuse services and its certified home-care agency supports residents of the Hudson Valley and beyond.
WMCHealth is a 1,900-bed healthcare system headquartered in Valhalla, New York, with ten hospitals on eight campuses spanning 6,200 square miles of the Hudson Valley. WMCHealth employs more than 12,000 people and has nearly 3,000 attending physicians. From Level 1, Level 2 and Pediatric Trauma Centers, the region’s only acute care children’s hospital, an academic medical center, several community hospitals, dozens of specialized institutes and centers, a state of the art Telemedicine program, skilled nursing, assisted living facilities, homecare services and one of the largest mental health systems in New York State, today WMCHealth is the pre-eminent provider of integrated healthcare in the Hudson Valley.