$25.77/hr - $38.66/hr, based on education & experience
In accordance with Colorado???s EPEWA Equal Pay Transparency Rules.
A rewarding career that fits your life. As an employer of the future, we are proud to offer our team members many career and lifestyle choices including remote work options. If you???re looking to leverage your abilities ??? you belong at Banner Health.
Banner Health is Arizona???s largest employer and one of the largest nonprofit healthcare systems in the country; ??and the leading nonprofit provider of hospital services in all the communities we serve. We have remote workers in 34 States and continue to grow! There is endless opportunity to grow in Banner and make a life and career here!
In thisInpatient Facility/HIMS Certified Medical Coder - QUALITY ASSOCIATE -Remote position, you bring your 3-5+ years of acute care inpatient coding background, required CCS or CPC or CCS-P, and/or RHIT or RHIA Coding Certification, and make a difference!This is a Quality position, not a day-to-day coding production role. This position is task production oriented ensuring quality in the IP Facility Coding department. You have the opportunity to take your IP coding skills and help others to the next level and be with a growing Healthcare organization that offers many opportunities for advancement and growth. If you???re ready to change lives, including your own, we want to hear from you.
In most of our Coding roles, there is a Coding Assessment given after each successful interview. Banner Health provides your equipment when hired. You will be fully supported in training for anywhere from 1 ??? 3 months according to individual needs, with continued support throughout your career here!
This is a fully remote position and available if you live in the following states only: AK, AR, AZ, CA, CO, FL, GA, IA, ID, IN, KS, KY, MI, MN, MO, MS, NC, ND, NE, NM, NV, NY, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WI & WY.
The hours are flexible as we have remote Coders across the Nation. Generally, any 8-hour period between 7 am ??? 7 pm can work, with production being the greatest emphasis. ??Apply today.
Within Banner Health Corporate, you will have the opportunity to apply your unique experience and expertise in support of a nationally-recognized healthcare leader. We offer stimulating and rewarding careers in a wide array of disciplines. Whether your background is in Human Resources, Finance, Information Technology, Legal, Managed Care Programs or Public Relations, you'll find many options for contributing to our award-winning patient care.
POSITION SUMMARY This position is responsible for the interpretation of clinical documentation completed by the health care team for the health record(s) and for quality assurance in the alignment of clinical documentation and billing codes. Works with medical staff and quality management staff to correctly align diagnosis documentation and billing coding to improve the quality of clinical documentation and correctness of billing codes prior to claim submission to third party payers; to identify possible opportunities for improvement of clinical documentation and accurate MS-DRG, Ambulatory Payment Classification (APC) or ICD-9 assignments on health records. Provides guidance and expertise in the interpretation of, and adherence to, the rules and regulations for documentation.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Provides coding and guidance for non-standard billing. Demonstrates extensive knowledge of clinical documentation and its impact on reimbursement under Medicare Severity Adjusted System (MS-DRG), and Ambulatory Payment Classification (APC) or utilized operational systems Provides explanatory and reference information to internal and external customers regarding clinical documentation which may require researching authoritative reference information from a variety of sources.
2. Reviews medical records. Performs a ???Second Look??? at clinical documentation to ensure that clinical coding is accurate for proper reimbursement and that coding compliance is complete. Monitors coding work and trends, then provides education where opportunities are identified. Reviews accuracy of identified data elements for use in creating data bases or reporting to the state health department. If applicable, applies Uniform Hospital Discharge Data Set (UHDDS) definitions to select the principal diagnosis, principal procedure, complications and co morbid condition, other diagnoses, and significant procedures which require coding. Apply policies and procedures on health documentation and coding that are consistent with official coding guidelines.
3. Assists with maintaining system wide consistency in coding practices and ethical coding compliance. If applicable, initiates and follows through on attending physician queries to ensure that the clinical documentation supports the patient???s treatment and outcomes. Identifies training needs for medical and coding staff. Provides written updates and spreadsheets as to data findings. Serves as a team member for internal coding accuracy audits.
4. Acts as a knowledge resource to ancillary clinical departments and revenue integrity analysts regarding charge related issues, processes and programming. Participates in company-wide quality teams??? initiatives to improve clinical documentation. Assists with education and training of Coding Apprentice or other staff involved in learning coding. Assists in creating a department-wide focus of performance improvement and quality management. Assists and participates with management through committees in order to properly educate physicians, nursing, coders, CDM???s, etc with proper and accurate documentation for positive outcomes.
5. Performs ongoing audits/review of inpatient and/or outpatient medical records to assure the use of proper diagnostic and procedure code assignments. Provides findings for use as a basis for development of HIMS compliance plans, education of clinical coding staff and functional assessments.
6. Maintains a current knowledge in all coding regulatory updates, and in all software used for coding and health information management for the operational group. Monitors and evaluates trends in DRG (MS-DRG), APC, ACG, DCG, HCC and other Health Risk Adjusted Factors appropriate to the assigned area, and the effect on Case Mix Index by use of specialized software.
7. As assigned, tracks and creates monthly reports for the Charge Description Master Planning committee to identify coding and Health Risk Adjusted Factors accuracies, potential revenue enhancement areas, and identifies opportunities for education of staff.
8. May code inpatient and outpatient records as needed. Works as a member of the overall HIMS team to achieve goals in days-to-bill.
9. Works independently under limited supervision. Uses an expert level of knowledge to provide billing guidance and oversight for one or more medical facilities. Internal customers include but are not limited to medical staff, employees, patients, and management at the local, regional, and corporate levels. External customers include but are not limited to, practicing physicians, vendors, and the community.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS Requires a level of education as normally demonstrated by a bachelor???s degree in Health Information Management and current continuing education.
In an acute care setting doing inpatient, requires Certified Coding Specialist (CCS) or Certified Professional Coder (CPC) or Certified Coding Specialist-Physician (CCS-P) or Registered Health Information Technologist (RHIT) or Registered Health Information Administration (RHIA) in an active status with the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) or American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC).
Demonstrated proficiency in hospital and/or multiple physician specialty coding as normally obtained through 3-5 years of current and progressively responsible coding experience required. Experience normally obtained with 2-3 year experience in CMS HCC Risk Adjustment payment methodology and coding and documentation requirements. Must possess a thorough knowledge of ICD/DRG coding and/or CPT coding principles, and the recommended American Health Information Management Association coding competencies. Requires an in-depth knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, plus a thorough understanding of the content of the clinical record and an extensive knowledge of all coding conventions and reimbursement guidelines across all services lines. Excellent written and oral communication skills are required, as well as effective human relations skills for building and maintaining a working relationship with all levels of staff, physicians, and other contacts.
Must consistently demonstrate the ability to understand the Medicare Prospective Payment System, and the Clinical coding data base and indices, and must be familiar with coding and abstracting software, as well as common office software and the electronic medical records software.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
What might draw you to Banner Health? A great health care career, of course—and a great place to live, no matter what stage of life you’re in. With facilities across the West, there is a health care career for everyone, from big city living in the Phoenix area to friendly small towns in the mountains and plains. As one of the largest nonprofit health systems in the country, Banner Health offers both the stability that comes with success and the possibility of exploring new areas of the country. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages:
Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health.
Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible.
The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path.
Competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.