Health care is constantly changing, and at Banner Health, we are at the front of that change. We are leading health care to make the experience the best it can be. We want to change the lives of those in our care ??? and the people who choose to take on this challenge. If changing health care for the better sounds like something you want to be part of, we want to hear from you.
Banner Health is currently seeking a Patient Safety Specialist.?? This position evaluates, identifies, plans, coordinates, and leads system wide and entity patient safety activities to prevent patient harm.???? ??
The typical schedule for this role is Monday-Friday. The primary location for this role will be mostly remote and onsite 1 day per week in the Glendale area.??
An ideal candidate would possess a Bachelor???s Degree with 2+ years of related experience.???? This person must have strong skills with?? time management, multitasking abilities, strong communications skills and experience with teaching/training others.
Your pay and benefits (Total Rewards) are important components of your Journey at Banner Health. Banner Health offers a variety of benefit plans to help you and your family. We provide health and financial security options, so you can focus on being the best at what you do and enjoying your life.
Within Banner Health Corporate, you will have the opportunity to apply your unique experience and expertise in support of a nationally-recognized healthcare leader. We offer stimulating and rewarding careers in a wide array of disciplines. Whether your background is in Human Resources, Finance, Information Technology, Legal, Managed Care Programs or Public Relations, you'll find many options for contributing to our award-winning patient care.
POSITION SUMMARY This position evaluates, identifies, plans, coordinates, and leads system-wide and entity patient safety activities to prevent patient harm. This position actively communicates and works closely with identified internal and external customers.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Assists with development and the implementation of the Patient Safety Plan. Assists in the development and implementation of a patient safety evaluation system.
2. Actively identifies patient safety opportunities. Coordinates, investigates, analyzes, and responds to quality/patient safety issues, events, significant care issues or trends. Conducts surveillance, analysis and data reporting for patient safety, while complying with regulatory/accreditation requirements.
3. Participants in implementation of standardized patient safety clinical practices at the system and facility level. Develops and analyzes data for administrative and clinical decision making related to patient safety.
4. Determines risk for exposure of harm/potential harm to patients in response to identified opportunities, outcomes etc. Assists in the determination of the level of containment/control required for: immediate harm, risk for harm in current process and future potential for harm.
5. Assesses/investigates patient safety related events. Facilitates root cause analysis, proactive risk assessments, variation reduction and identifies improvements related to patient safety and prevention of harm through the use of process improvement methodologies and tools.
6. Leverages lessons learned and communicates recommendations/required actions to avoid future exposure of harm to patients. Presents data and reports, deficiencies identified during internal surveillance and monitoring, and the status of implementation to key stakeholders and identified committees.
7. Serves as a subject matter expert on internal and external patient safety matters. Collaborates with system and facility teams: care management teams, clinical discipline teams, facility leadership, risk management, and other groups as appropriate. Provides education and resources to address changes, identify gaps in compliance, and educate leaders and staff on patient safety requirements.
8. This position has system wide responsibility, as well as involvement in facility level patient safety activities. The role assesses, identifies, improves and advocates for patient safety in situations with multiple competing priorities. This position functions autonomously and is responsible for education of leaders and staff system-wide on patient safety matters. Provides ongoing patient safety communication to internal and external customers. Internal customers include but are not limited to: patients/family, leaders, physicians and employees. External customers include but are not limited to: insurers, accreditation/regulatory bodies, patients, families and the community.
Requires Bachelor???s degree or equivalent in nursing or other healthcare related field and an RN license in state worked.
Must possess a current, valid RN license in state of practice, temporary/interim RN license in state of practice, or compact RN licensure for current state of practice. BLS certification is required. Additional certification or continuing education may be required based on area of practice.
Requires a proficiency level typically attained with 5 years acute care clinical experience.
Requires ability to perform complex statistical analysis and highly developed problem solving skills. Requires the ability to manage programs and projects. Requires demonstrated excellence in interpersonal and written communication skills.
Certified Professional in Healthcare Quality (CPHQ), Certified Professional in Patient Safety (CPPS) is preferred; Possesses experience with process improvement concepts and tools, group facilitation, data management, and analysis including graphic development and presentations is highly desirable. Knowledge of regulatory/accreditation requirements is desirable.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
What might draw you to Banner Health? A great health care career, of course—and a great place to live, no matter what stage of life you’re in. With facilities across the West, there is a health care career for everyone, from big city living in the Phoenix area to friendly small towns in the mountains and plains. As one of the largest nonprofit health systems in the country, Banner Health offers both the stability that comes with success and the possibility of exploring new areas of the country. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages:
Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health.
Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible.
The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path.
Competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.